April 17, 2008

Tristan & Isolde

This is a medieval tale of a love triangle between Isolde the princess of Ireland, Lord Marke the Cornish King, and his adopted son Tristan. Tristan loves Lord Marke as a father. Marke loves Tristan as a son. The beautiful Isolde is loved by and loves both men. Despite all of this love, politics are at the center of this love story.

I was initially excited to watch this film yet in the end disappointed. I didn't have any real sense of compassion for the characters involved nor the political situation they were in because the film makers didn't take enough time to make them important to the viewer. Some of this could have been caused by some of the editing or choice of shots as well. Several times a scene would end prematurely making me feel like I needed just a few seconds more to digest it. The love stories felt "almost" real, but in the end I didn't really care about the characters.

The "kingdoms" of Ireland and England seemed a bit deflated as well. The sets looked more like the forts that were made in America's west. In fact, the "castle" in Cornwall reminded me more of Fort Mandan than a great kingdom of England.

I wanted this film to be a great love story that pulled me in and made me fall in love with the characters and their time. I felt let down instead and left wanting more.

Food: Turkey Leg
Drink: Mead

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com